Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Morecambe 0 Cambridge 2

28 February 2015

Shrimps fall to second consecutive home defeat

Morecambe fell to their second consecutive home defeat with a disappointing 2-0 loss against Cambridge United.

The Shrimps had the better of the opening few minutes but Cambridge held out and took the lead through Ryan Donaldson on the stroke of half time.

A brief positive spell came from the home side in the opening stages of the second period, but United doubled their lead through Jordan Slew on 59 minutes and that proved to be a crucial blow as the visitors comfortably held on to take the three points back down south. 

Morecambe flew out of the traps from kick-off with chances falling to Jack Redshaw and Ryan Williams inside the opening five minutes, but Cambridge grew into the game as the the half wore on and the chances dried up.

Cambridge were next to go close with Slew firing a long-range volley over the Morecambe bar on 21 minutes, but both defences continued to stand firm.

With five minutes to go in the first half, Jack Redshaw cut in from left and took a shot from outside the area but that was to be the Shrimps’ last chance of the opening 45 and, just as the game appeared to be heading into half time goalless, the visitors struck.

Ryan Donaldson broke the deadlock, heading in at the far post after the Shrimps’ defence failed to deal with a low ball from the right flank.

After the break, Morecambe began brightly and, after a good spell of possession, could have equalized but Chris Dunn in the Cambridge goal produced an outstanding save to deny Williams after a neat flick from a Lawrence Wilson cross.

But minutes later, Cambridge doubled their advantage through Jordan Slew. A long ball fell into the path of the former Blackburn Rovers striker and he coolly slid the ball under Andreas Arestidou to give his side a 2-0 lead on the hour.

Almost immediately after, Paul Mullin and Andy Fleming replaced Alan Goodall and Ryan Williams as Jim Bentley looked to change his side’s fortunes.

Mullin added energy to the Shrimps attack but Fleming came closest to scoring and could have reduced the arrears with 10 minutes to go, but stumbled as the goal opened up. 

Then, Jamie Devitt came on in place of Mark Hughes as the minutes ticked down but his impact was limited and Cambridge held on to earn their first win from 11 games in all competitions.  

Morecambe: Arestidou; Hughes (Devitt 80), Edwards, Parrish; Beeley, Goodall (Fleming 60), Kenyon, Williams (Mullin 60), Wilson; Redshaw, Ellison. Subs: Stewart, Devitt, Wright, Mullin, Fleming, McGowan, Amond.

Bookings: Wilson, Edwards

Cambridge: Dunn, Tait, Taylor, Coulson, Miller, Donaldson (Dunk 73), Champion, Slew, Hughes (Ball), Harrold (63 Simpson), Mendez-Laing. Subs: Norris, Dunk, Simpson, Nelson, Ball, Morrissey, Kaikai.

Bookings: Harrold, Champion

Referee: Darren Handley

Attendance: 1,593 (206) 

‘The Bay Radio’ Man of the Match: Shaun Beeley

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account